Isis Masonic Lodge

A Brief History of Isis Lodge

The Isis Masonic Lodge in Childers is a two storey timber building constructed in two stages, the first in 1897 and the second in 1909, to the design of Bundaberg architect Frederick Herbert Faircloth. Located in Macrossan Street, a block behind the main street of Childers, the building survived a major fire in the town in 1902 and remains as one of the oldest buildings in the town.

The Freemasonry movement was an integral part of community life in the 19th century and the establishment of a Lodge was a local event representing progress and consolidation of the community. The first meeting of Freemasons in the Childers district took place in 1894 and was called by Constable Richard Henderson and Thomas Gaydon, a local chemist.

Early members came from all three constitutions of the time, the English, Scottish and Irish and a vote was taken at a second meeting in January 1895 which resolved to establish a Lodge under the English constitution. This was achieved in April of the same year with the inauguration of the Corinthian Lodge No. 2573 EC. There were 14 founding members and the Master was Worshipful Brother Robert Henry Blissett who had been master of the Star of the East Lodge in Maryborough.

The opening ceremony and consecration of the Corinthian Lodge took place in the Isis Divisional Board's Office on 4th April, 1895. Subsequent lodge meetings were held in the Childers schoolroom, with furniture and regalia provided by sponsor Lodges in Maryborough and Bundaberg. Members paid a joining fee of £1/1/- for members of English Constitution Lodges and £1/11/6 for members of other constitutions, a portion of which went towards a building fund.

A hall committee was formed in July 1896 and the land in Macrossan Street was purchased in April 1897 upon this committee's recommendation, at a cost of £30. Members of the lodge cleared the land and donated money and goods towards the new hall. A single storey timber hall was proposed and funding was provided in the form of a loan from Wor. Bro. Blissett who matched the interest rates offered by the Bank of North Queensland.

The first Lodge meeting was held in the new hall on 8 October 1897. By 1908 it became apparent that the hall was not big enough and Faircloth was again approached to provide plans for an additional storey to the hall. J.E Sharpe's tender of £368 was accepted and the enlarged hall was consecrated on 9 July 1909.

Two storey halls were a popular form for Lodges in Queensland - the upper floor would be reserved for Lodge meetings and the lower floor provided space for a range of public events, such as dances, euchre and smoke nights, picnics and sports days. Founded on principles of fellowship, charity and "the practice of moral and social virtue", Freemasonry thrived in the absence of Government welfare and Freemasons supported each other and their families, particularly in country areas.

In 1920, the two Grand Lodges of Queensland merged to form the United Grand Lodge of Queensland, ending years of division within the Freemasonry movement in Queensland. As a consequence, the name of the Corinthian Masonic Lodge in Childers was changed to it's current name - the Isis No.93 UGLQ first appearing in the minutes of 11 November 1921.

Minor alterations have taken place over the years, including the installation of electricity in 1915, replacement of weatherboards in 1956 and rewiring, re-stumping and replacement of the corrugated iron roof in 1976. A kitchen and toilet have been added to the rear of the building. The building has been used continuously as a Masonic Lodge since its construction.

Wor. Bro. R.H. Blissett
Lodge Officers 1908-9 Seated - Wor. Bro. G. Upham W.M.; Wor. Bro. W. Michel I.P.M
Standing - Bro. H.A.B. Crow S.W.; Bro. J. Hayles J.D.; Wor. Bro. J.R. Wrench Sec.;
Bro. T.J. Perkins J.W.

Click Here to Download the <Isis Lodge Centenary Booklet 1895 - 1995>
 

Calendar

28.08.2016
Web Update

Lodge Location :

18 Macrossan Street
Childers

 
Design downloaded from Free Templates - your source for free web templates